Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thanking Those Who Preserve History

It is no stretch to think of a photographer or a writer as preservers of history, but what about construction workers? Today's photos are a reminder to us that there is more to preserving history than just photographing or writing about it.  Today I offer a big Thank You to all who maintain our nations historic districts.

Seeing photographs and reading about cobblestone paths tend to give me a sense of the quaint or romantic.  While walking and driving on these paths although it did give me a feeling of going back to a quieter time, it also reminded me of the lack of comforts faced by our ancestors. For cobblestone paths create a rough path for the rider or walker. Watching this worker repair the cobblestone street I had to admire the hard work that our ancestors went through to line their cities, towns and villages with this then modern form of comfort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, one of the things I loved about my husband when we first met was he could build stuff, fix stuf...do all that guy stuff. He still can and I still love him for that and many more reasons!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment bookbabie. Sounds like you landed yourself a keeper. :D

MultipleMum said...

We all need to do our bit. Historians, writers, artists, photographers, architects, librarians, builders etc. So important to our future to save our past x