Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

OpSail/Harborfest 2012

My Sunday 'Week In Pictures' post has been pre-empted to bring you this look at one of Norfolk's' biggest festivals. OpSail combined with Harborfest for an exciting weekend of nautical enjoyment reaching full force with the Tall Ship Parade on Friday. I was fortunate enough to spend a good part of the day Friday taking in the excitement. There was so much to see it has taken almost two days to go through the nearly 600 photographs I took.
I could fill a large photo book with just photos of all the terrific Tall Ships. They came from all around the world to participate in the parade. It would be easy to dedicate this entire post to just photos of these beautiful ships. Visit my other blog to check out the Tall Ships. Instead I would like to focus on the the fun sights and entertainment to be witnessed at the festival. Harborfest celebrates the nautical history of the region and with this year marking the bi-centennial of The War of 1812 there was a definite focus on that time period. Actors dressed in period garb entertained and interacted with festival goers.


What would an 1800's nautical festival be without Blackbeard and other pirates?
There were so many amazing sights, like these sailors that stood on the masts for hours while the ships sailed in the parade.

 There were so many different types of entertainment, rides and games galore.
Of course being a Navy family I couldn't pass up a patriotic shot or two.

Click on the button below to head over to Unknown Mami's to see what is going on all over the world.



Unknown Mami

2 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh, I was hoping there would be pirates. I'm so glad I wasn't disappointed.

Betsy at Zen Mama said...

Loved these pictures, Nita! You're really talented! Especially the close up of the sails.