Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Nature Hike

The Hanson-Larsen Memorial Park trails are extensive and yet I have only seen a very small portion of the trails. Here is a bit from my last little hike.
When I headed out the sky was still pretty overcast from the brief thunderstorm that had quickly passed through. The color is a bit off in this first shot but it will give you an idea of how beautiful  the clouds were.
The sky quickly cleared and left behind a beautiful day. It was still a bit warm but not too bad and not too humid.
 Thankfully the ground wasn't too wet either.

I was a bit surprised when I came across this giant spider web. Along the interstate in Virginia I had seen humongous spider webs but never had I seen what I would consider even large spider webs here in South Dakota. Until I saw these.
They are no where near as large as those in Virgina but large ball of web was at least two feet in diameter. Needless to say this was one time I was kind of glad to follow the trail rules and not leave the trail to get a closer look.
There wasn't as many wild flowers as the last time I walked the trail but there were still a few.

 And there were quite a few little creatures enjoying the afternoon.

There were also a lot of these. They remind me of a dandelion seeds but are much larger, about three to four inches in diameter. Yes, I am clueless most of the time when it comes to names of flowers, birds and trees.
I even saw a dear, although it was too quick for me and I missed capturing it with my camera. I hope you have enjoyed this little nature hike in Rapid City, South Dakota.

Wishing all happy travels
both real and virtual!


Unknown Mami

1 comment:

Bill Lisleman said...

Looks like a nice hike. We have those big balls of webs on trees around here. They kill all the leaves inside. I think they are a type a larvae.