Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Escape To Dove Mountain

By Nita Davis

Today isn't so very different than any other hectic day in my life. Startled into semi-consciousness at 5am by an unrelenting high shrill alarm clock, I was off to face the world, well almost. Luckily for the alarm clock but unluckily for me, it rests six feet away on the dresser top, so the snooze option was definitely out. Fumbling around in the dark I pulled on my bathrobe and slipped my feet into the slippers haphazardly discarded near the bed as I dropped into bed last night. Thankfully I haven't rearranged furniture in some time so it was a safe journey in the dark to the kitchen.  Having set the coffee pot to auto and left my favorite cup next to the pot, fixing my coffee by the glow of the clock on the stove was no real problem. As you have probably figured out the thought of turning a light on at 5am is not one I relish.

After a half hour sitting in my comfy overstuffed recliner sipping my coffee and listening to tranquil mood music, (you know the kind, nature sounds mixed with harp; flute or piano music) even though I wasn't totally ready, it was time to embrace the day. Off to the kitchen I went to begin preparing a nice hot breakfast for the four zoo creatures that live in my home masquerading as my children. The oldest at eleven exhibits uncanny fox like attributes (cunning, witty & fast). Next comes my nine year old daughter, the lynx of the family (sensitive, secretive & wise). Then there is the five year old Tasmanian Devil, that is right you guessed it wild, loud and he never stops. Last is my youngest daughter at only two years of age she is already showing definite signs of becoming a very mischievous capuchin monkey.

The inspirations for this story

Within minutes my handsome little Devil had joined me, bouncing from one wall to the next. 'I'm hungry mom!' BOUNCE 'is it ready yet?' BOUNCE 'I'm STARVING' BOUNCE ' Mom???'. Honestly I believe it is totally wrong for any human being to have so much energy so early in the morning as that boy has. Out of a desperate need to survive I of course sent him to wake his older siblings. After which the daily chaos began, with shouts of 'Leave me alone' from the Fox and shrieks of ' Mom!, Tas wont stop jumping on my bed.' from the Lynx. Fortunately by that time the food was done and set on the table, and I was off to collect the little Devil and see if the Monkey is awake.
Around our house breakfast tends to set the rhythm for the day, thus I knew early that it was going to be a long day. Each of my little animals definitely showed their individual characteristics well. While I escaped to my room to get dressed for the day, laughter, tears and constant chatter echo'd through the house. By 7:15 it was all I could do not to cheer and jump for joy when I put my three older children on that school bus. Turning to my little monkey I smiled and said 'ok, sweetie you and mommy are going to have a nice quiet day', BOY WAS I WRONG. I had forgotten Capuchin monkeys are well know for their mischievous ways and noisy chatter.

Photo www.morguefile.com
Whoever said working from home with a toddler was easy never raised a monkey. My office is designed to fit both my work needs and the needs of small children. However, I have yet to find a way to keep the little monkey from climbing the bookcase, trying to stick crayons in the pencil sharpener or a myriad  other catastrophic endeavors sought by this one small child. To say the least by lunch time the account ledgers were still unbalanced and I was nearing my breaking point. After bribing the monkey with a banana (yes, she loves them and will do almost anything to get one) I was able to get her to sit quietly and eat so I could do a little work.

Just as we finished lunch I heard the honking of the school bus horn. The little Devil was home. All I can say is his entrance to our home looked something akin to a tornado; clothes, books and shoes flying everywhere as he flew past and into the kitchen to grab a snack out of the cupboard. You know how they say a tornado sounds like a train rumbling on the tracks? Yep, that is what he sounded like. I am certain if I had a meter to measure noise levels it would have been way above the acceptably safe decibels. Yet I was thankful to have him home. With the little Devil to play with the little Monkey I thought maybe I would get the accounts done today after all. What was I thinking! You put two energetic, mischievous wild animals together you do not get harmony.

Some days I am able to play with these two wild children for fifteen or twenty minutes and get them involved in some activity that will keep them entertained for me to work an hour or two, but not today.  It is just past 4pm and the Fox and the Lynx have been home long enough to fill me in on their days', get themselves a snack and head to the play room to harass and play with their younger siblings.

Photo www.morguefile.com

This is the moment that kept me going all day, my moment of escape. I head for the backdoor and the much needed peacefulness I know I will soon enjoy. Stepping off the back porch I am met by the warm afternoon sun. The sun is just slightly over the top of the mountain, yet still lighting the clearing around our home. Heading for the path that will take me to the glade at the top of the mountain, I inhale deeply. The mountain air mixed with the poignant aromas of Ponderosa Pines, Cedar and a hint of oak fills my lungs with an invigorating burst of freshness.  Joy and excitement fill me with anticipation. With each step I am carried away from chaos and toward nirvana. Entering the path the quiet is broken by a soft crunching sound as I walk upon scattered twigs and pine needles. The tension in my shoulders begins to ease as I focus on the whisper of the wind rustling through the trees. Here in the shadow of trees with only occasional streaks of sunlight a deep solitude begins to comfort me. Slowly I move along the path opening my soul to the beauty which surrounds me. Just beyond my reach a Monarch butterfly flits past and into the filtered rays of the sun creating an almost magical scene as if dancing in stardust. Further down the path a squirrel perks his head up.  Suddenly there is another squirrel, the first grabs an acorn near him and the two take off with the second one chasing the first up the closest tree. Oh to have such freedom, to run and play among the trees, I almost envy the two fluffy tailed jesters. The gentle but steady climb has brought me near my destination as I can hear the soft coo - oo, coo - oo of the Morning Doves that like to nest each spring in an oak near the clearing. Their gentle sweet song soothes my not so long ago tattered nerves, taking me ever closer to heaven. Stepping through the trees and into the tall lush grass of the glade, with the warmth of the afternoon sun caressing my face I am transported to the place of my dreams. Spreading my arms as if to fly, I gradually pick up my pace until I am running to the center of the glade. A pure delight overcomes me as I begin to twirl releasing all my pent up restraints. I collapse in a state of shear relief.

    Tucking my arms behind my head I gaze up at the vivid blue sky and allow myself to dream just for a moment what it would be like to spend the whole day here in the glade. Unexpectedly I feel a tug on my arm. 'Mommy'. No it can't be, not yet, I'm not ready to go back. Tug Tug, there it is again. 'Mommy! I'm hungry'. Opening my eyes I wrap my arms around my little monkey pulling her into the recliner and onto my lap. "OK sweetie, mommy will go make dinner now nirvana can wait till another day."

1 comment:

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I can relate to this post. The rhythms of being a work at home mum are not easy to follow some days. But your little zoo animals sound gorgeous.

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.