Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

On Again Off Again


We have had an on again off again winter here in Rapid this month with a few inches of snow one day and then sunshine and mild temps long enough to melt the snow. The above photo was taken on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon at the beginning of the month.

It was so nice out that I decided I would hike to the top of the hill, or at least try too. This is the view from the path leading to the hiking trail.

This map is located at the trail head and shows the various trails indicated in blue. The pink is the path I took on my endeavor to reach the top.

On one of the hills to the right of the park a beautiful home can be seen on the hill.

The winding path wound along going up then down and back up again, as well as making many twists and turns. I began to wonder if I would ever get to the wooded part of the trail.
It was so lovely and relaxing, even if a bit strenuous. The path I took was one that is mark as more difficult. More difficult than what I am not sure, because all of the ones I saw were marked more difficult????
I was not the only one enjoying the trails that day, there were a number of bicyclists and even one runner. I decided it would be best if I walked on the very edge of the trail and actually moved slightly off the trail when I heard the cyclists coming. I have decided the cyclists were much more courteous than the runner. 

Some said hi, some even thanked me for stepping to the side, and one even stopped and apologized for startling this white tail deer I was photographing. I told him it wasn't a problem and thanked him for getting the deer to move so I could get a shot of it standing. While I had a chance I asked if the trail went to the top of the hill. Much to my disappointment he said it did not, but that around the bend behind the deer was the highest point on the trail.

It may not have been the top of the hill but oh what a view! 
It was such a beautiful day and the hike up had been so very peaceful. I refused to let the rude  runner I encountered on the way down spoil my day. I guess he wanted to run were I was walking on the edge of the path, so as he came up behind me he barked at me to move.

Here we are the following morning, Mother Nature  must have decided we needed a reminder that it was still winter..... LOL











As far as the weather goes Rapid City is actually pretty mild by South Dakota standards. How about where you live, are your seasons extreme or mild?

 
Joining in with a bunch of great virtual world travelers at:

Unknown Mami

No comments: