Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Poetry

Back in December Bill over at A Few Clowns Short inspired me to write a bit of poetry with THIS post. I can't believe it has taken me almost two full months to get around to posting this, but here it is. This first poem was written directly after reading the post at the above link.

Fading

I feel myself fading
curled up n cold
 
Ignite the flame 
Let me burn . . . burn
yes let me burn
 
There's more to life than
simply living
 
Ignite the flame 
let me burn . . . burn
yes let me burn
 
All curled up and fading
I've lost my spark
 
Ignite the flame 
let me burn . . . burn
yes let me burn
 © 2013 (a)Nita Davis

The first poem, although it flowed out of me in mere minutes, just seemed so cliche and even a bit morbid so I started on a second poem. I wrote the second poem that same day but it didn't have the flow that I wanted so I set it aside. Then yesterday I pulled it out and made some slight changes to the repeating stanza. Here is the finished poem.


Ignite The Spark

Like the fire in the forest, let me dance against the wind,
for this toneless daily livin's got me fading out again.

Strike the match.
Ignite the spark. 
Watch me blaze!

As a demon on a dark night sent to smother my last spark,
is this lonely dismal journey which consumes my very soul.

Strike the match.
Ignite the spark. 
Watch me blaze!

Enough this fading into naught, this dull and lifeless living
where I hide forever curled up in my quiet little shell.

Strike the match.
Ignite the spark. 
Watch me blaze!
 
© 2/20/2014 (a)Nita Davis


Hmmmmm......  the mood of the second isn't much better than that of the first.
Hmmmmm..... can we say Cabin Fever!

3 comments:

Bill Lisleman said...

My My Hey Hey
I also missed this shout out - thanks.
Amazing how a poem can just flow out like that. The closest I get to that is an occasional quick parody of lyrics.
I think the second one is much more upbeat than the first. My impression on the second one is one of hoping to reignite the fire. I don't think the fire in the second one is all consuming but the source of energy.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bill, I have to agree the second is more upbeat than the first and it was done more with conscious thought of how to use the knowledge as a catalyst toward a more optimistic outcome.

Mrs4444 said...

My take on the poems is that simply living, waiting for the time to pass, is not the way to live; to truly live life, one needs to be on fire with life, to get out there and take advantage of opportunities and enjoy life. Of course, you're the one who knows what the poems mean, but they inspired me to "fire up." I totally get the cabin fever thing, though; I was thinking today that this winter has likly been hell for people who suffer with seasonal affective disorder, for example.