Thursday, October 20, 2011

Family Recipes: Mango Salsa

In all my talk of preserving special family memories I almost forgot one of the greatest treasures that are passed down from one generation to the next. RECIPES!

I would like to write out the recipes for dishes that were taught to me by my Grandmother and my Papi, but there is a problem. I was taught to make the dishes by taste and not with exact amounts of different ingredients. So Today I am going to try to share with you the recipe for Mango Salsa my Papi taught me to make. If you try it let me know how you like it.


Fresh ingredients make the best salsa. Here is a list of what I used today:
3 Roma tomatoes
3 Habanero peppers
3 Serrano medium sized peppers
1 Red Fresno pepper
( These peppers are all hot and will make a fiery hot salsa, you can use milder peppers for a milder salsa. Click here for a visual guide for peppers)
1 ripe Mango
1 Medium yellow onion
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
12 oz apple juice (My Papi uses beer, water or fruit juice it just depends on his mood and what is available)
Cilantro (about 1 inch diameter hand full, with 3/4 of the stems removed)
Cumin (about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons)
Garlic (fresh is preferred but I was out so I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder)
Salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)

Finely dice or chop the onion and peppers and place in large mixing bowl. You can do this in a food processor or blender or use a vegetable chopper. I prefer my salsa chunky so use the vegetable chopper as it doesn't chop as fine as the others. DO NOT hold and chop the peppers as they will cause your skin to burn.

Peal and cut mango into small chunks. Place tomato sauce, apple juice (or other liquid) and the mango chunks in blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Add Cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and half of the chopped peppers. Process again until smooth, then pour back into large mixing bowl with the remainder of the chopped onion and peppers. For chunky salsa, finely chop the tomatoes and add them to the salsa. If you prefer smooth salsa add the chopped tomatoes in to the blender at the same time as the spices. Ladle salsa into jars and chill. 

Walla! Mango Salsa!
Sorry this picture isn't to great, taken with my cell phone
Does your family pass down special recipes?
Has your family put together their own recipe book?

No comments: